Head of Legal Services – Cricket Victoria
We are currently seeking to appoint a full time Head of Legal Services.
The Head of Legal Services plays a key role in the organisation owning the legal function, working with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders to provide practical, constructive, timely legal and governance advice and support. Reporting to the General Manager Business Services, you will bring outstanding professional skills and experience, to assist the business in meeting its objectives.
This role will drive and oversee all legal and governance work as well as providing support across our integrity requirements and is also responsible for ensuring that all legal agreements adequately cover all legal risk.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Lead and manage all commercial legal matters, including contracts, negotiations, and agreements relating to sponsors, partners, suppliers, state & local government departments, venues, and Cricket Australia.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to provide timely legal advice & guidance on commercial opportunities and risks.
- Review and drafting of agreements and terms and conditions affecting Cricket Victoria and contribute to their negotiation in a way that appropriately manages the risks to CV.
- Managing disputes and ensuring that legal risks are appropriately managed.
- Develop and implement strategies to protect the organization's interests and ensure compliance with relevant laws and regulations.
- Stay current with changes in commercial law and proactively adapt strategies as needed.
- Advise CV concerning business transactions, claims liability, advisability of prosecuting or defending legal actions, or legal rights and obligations.
- Dealing with regulatory and compliance issues such as privacy, conflicts of interest, and other matters relevant to CV as required.
- Review and drafting of relevant company policies and procedures.
- Development of templates and precedents for the organisation.
- Collaborate as required with Cricket Victoria’s external legal advisers.
- Provide legal advice from time-to-time to the Cricket Victoria executive and Board as required.
Meetings & Minutes
- Ensuring the agenda and Board papers are prepared and forwarded to Directors prior to the Board meeting.
- Recording, maintaining, and distributing the minutes of all Board meetings as required.
- Preparing and distributing Notices of Meetings for all meetings of Members
- Assisting in the preparation of and attending all annual and extraordinary general meetings of the company.
- Lead and manage the legal function with the position of Legal Counsel reporting to you.
- Be a member of the Cricket Victoria Senior Leadership Team.
- Develop and deliver pragmatic education program to staff outlining the legal processes and practices within Cricket Victoria.
At least 10+ years demonstrated experience in law/governance
Experience in engaging with Boards, Committees and senior leaders
Experience in the Australian sport sector, particularly in the provision of advice in areas including member protection, child safeguarding, dispute resolution and disciplinary procedures is desirable
Current Victorian Employee Working with Children Check